Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I must be dreaming

3/24-25/10
After visiting St. Lobos State Reserve in Big Sur I’m not sure there’s anything left to look forward to.  Surely there can be nothing more stunning! We spent a day there climbing on the rocks, exploring the tidal pools and being mesmerized by the crashing aqua waves. It really is the ‘greatest meeting of sea and land’ around.

We’re just leaving San Francisco and our 18th campground (I know, can you believe it?) headed for the land of redwoods.  San Francisco was wonderfully entertaining.  We spent 2 days in the city hanging out on or near the Fisherman’s Wharf – both days gorgeous weather-wise.  After driving around the city and visiting China Town, we made our way to the 1-block section of Lombard St. known as the “most crooked street in the world.” Driving down it as well as walking up gave us not only great exercise but an awesome view of the city below. What a neat place it would be to live. 

Yesterday we rented tandem bikes for the day and rode them along the bay and over the Golden Gate Bridge.  Standing there on the bridge looking out over the bay out to Alcatraz seemed somewhat surreal.  Sometimes I have to pinch myself to see if I’m really conscious!  San Francisco reminded me a lot of our time in New Orleans – mainly because of all the people and side-street acts going on around every corner.  One of my favorites was a group of 4-5 guys who, with heavy bass music in the background, sit at a small booth and paint Golden Gate Bridge scenes using spray paints on poster board.  They do them in about 6 minutes. It’s incredible to watch.  They sell them for $5.00 each (way too cheap in my opinion) so of course I bought one that we had watched come to life. 
As I type we’re driving through the hilly Sonoma and Napa Valley areas admiring all of the vineyards that seem to go on endlessly.  The vines are bear of fruit but are pruned and ready for new growth.  I’m sure the growers are thankful for the recent heavy rains here after three years of drought.  It should get things off to a great start.  Glass of vino anyone?  I’m looking forward to taste-testing some local vintages along the way. Hear that hubby?

No comments:

Post a Comment